Attorney Dan M. Smolnik, JD, MBA
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Tax Controversies
- Tax Strategies
- Business Law
- Enterprise Structures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contracts and Transactions
- Partnership Agreements Tax related Financial Strategies
- Corporate Governance
- Affordable Care Act Compliance Strategies
- Valparaiso University, JD
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MBA
- University of Rochester, BA, Political Science
- State of Connecticut
- United States Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Executive Committee, Tax Law Section, Connecticut Bar Association
- Chairman, Federal Business Tax Subcommittee, Connecticut Bar Association
- Chairman, Brookfield Democratic Town Committee
- Vice President, Tri Cities Opera
Attorney Dan M. Smolnik holds a Juris Doctorate from Valparaiso University and an MBA from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his practice focuses on public and private company transactions, inbound and outbound transactions, private equity and partnership structure, hedge funds, tax efficiency, and international tax matters.
Dan serves as Vice Chair of the Tax Sections of the Connecticut Bar Association, as Chairman of the Federal Business Tax Subcommittee, and he has chaired or vice-chaired numerous boards of directors and provided business and legal leadership to several tax-exempt organizations.
Dan recently was appointed to the Economic Development Commission of the Town of Hamden and in 2017, was appointed to serve as Connecticut’s representative to the IRS Taxpayer Advocacy Panel where he advises the IRS on issues affecting IRS processes, policies, and forms. He frequently publishes articles on tax law and lectures before professional and academic organizations on tax law, business law, and business strategy and his econometric analysis of Connecticut’s municipal property tax laws will appear in the Spring 2018 edition of The Tax Lawyer.